Section Contents

History

Ritter Elementary School was named in honor of Michael Ritter, an early settler, and the small suburb named after him, Rittersville.  The building was an outgrowth of a meeting between citizens and the school board, welcoming its first pupils in 1925.  In 1955, four classrooms and a cafeteria were added to accommodate the expanding student population.

 

In 2007-2008, two additional classrooms were added by converting existing space into classrooms.  The two-story building contains a 550-seat auditorium-gymnasium combination, 22 classrooms with networked and internet-accessible computers, teacher work stations, an ESL room, health room and cafeteria that can feed 150 students at a time.  The playground area received a new play structure in fall 2008 to help meet the physical needs of Ritter’s students.