National History Day Makes History with Number of Participants
On March 4, Allentown School District students from five schools presented their projects at the regional National History Day competition at Jim Thorpe High School. A record number of 39 students from William Allen High School, and Harrison-Morton, Raub, South Mountain and Trexler Middle Schools traveled to Jim Thorpe with their stellar projects, selected as the best from their respective schools, in the website, documentary and exhibit categories. Students defended their projects to judges, viewed other students’ projects and were treated to a pizza lunch, provided by the ASD Foundation.
Middle school projects were created in their Advanced English classes and William Allen students worked independently, with support of the after-school National History Day Club. All projects required a tremendous amount of research and time commitment to qualify for regional competition. Projects will be on display for public viewing at the annual Allentown School District Showcase of Academic Excellence at Miller Symphony Hall on June 6, 2017.
The following students participated in the event:
- William Allen: Jasmine Broderick, Peter Capote, Edwin Chalas, Arlene Charles, Tanezha Guilmet, and Lauren Tullar
- Harrison-Morton: Jose R. Ramos, Jr.
- Raub: Jonathan Coleman, Emely Jimenez Ramos, Thor Long, Alysha Martinez, Brandon Morocho, Omar Pagan, Ezekial Resto, Yaneliz Ruiz and Evan Wilt
- South Mountain: Carlee Davidson, Alondra Rosario, Ambar Rosario, Tatyannah Wiggins, Nevaeh Gallan
- Trexler: Elijah Albert-Stein, Nadia Balletta, Hector Buxo, Emmanuel Diaz, Perla Dominguez, Deauntey McCray, Karimah McKnight, Jean Orejuela, Jasias Pena, Alanis Rodriguez, Lillian Rohrbach, Alexis Rounds, Justin Williams and Chelsea Zucal
Congratulations to all the students! And a big thank you to the teachers who guided them on their academic journey: JoAnn Manjarrez and Sally Wolfe (William Allen); Erin Bhama (Harrison-Morton); Jonathan Gray and Sarah Zimmerman (Raub); Dianne Mascari and Kristina Michener (South Mountain); and Conchetta Marucci, Katie Magee and Johnna Ward (Trexler).