Standing Medication Orders
Standing Orders for Allentown School District over-the-counter and emergency medications available in the school health offices during the day:
- Acetaminophen - (generic Tylenol) for secondary students with an afebrile headache or menstrual pain, 2tabs (325 mg/tab) po x1/day.
- Anbesol – for toothache, gum pain and mouth sores. Apply with cotton-tip applicator to affected area.
- Antacid Chewable Tablets – for stomach upset, indigestion, 2 chewable tabs/day (500mg tabs per packaging) after a meal for students>12 years of age.
- Benadryl Liquid – for anaphylaxis treatment if no other orders available. Child dose: 1-2mg/kg orally, 50mg. maximum. Adult: 50mg. orally.
- Calamine – (anti-itch) lotion applied topically to bug bites and poison leaf rashes, as long as there is no interruption of skin integrity.
- Caladryl – (anti-itch) clear skin protectant and topical analgesic lotion applied topically to bug bites and poison leaf rashes, as long as there is no interruption of skin integrity.
- Cough Drops – for cough or throat irritation for secondary students.
- Epinephrine (Epi-Pen) – Given for severe respiratory distress, per package instructions. Dose: 0.3 mg/0.3ml>66lbs IM in thigh only, 0.15mg/0.15ml<66lbs IM in thigh only.
- Narcan Nasal Spray (Nalaoxone) – 4 mg naloxone in 0.1 mL intranasal spray to student suspected of opioid overdoes. May repeat every 2-3 minutes, if available, until the person responds or emergency medical help is received.
- O2 – administered for life threatening illness or injury. Give via blow/mask. Flow is a preset O2 unit delivered at 6L/min @ 100%.
- Sting Swabs – for bites/stings. Apply to bite/sting topically.
- Triple Antibiotic Ointment – for open wounds (cuts, blisters, abrasions, etc.). Apply topically x1/day.
No medication will be given more than two times during the school day. The nurse reserves the right to refuse to dispense medication at any time based on the assessment of the situation and every effort will be made to notify parents of this situation (i.e. repeated requests or overuse).