For families impacted by Hurricane Maria / Para familias impactadas por el huracán María:
The Allentown School District has welcomed over 300 students who have left Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria. The district continues to welcome new students across all grades levels every day. We want to ensure that our evacuee families are provided with as many resources as possible, including access to FEMA relief. There are two ways evacuee families in the United States can register for FEMA assistance: by calling 800-621- FEMA (3362), online at https://www.disasterassistance.gov/.
- Before applying for assistance, use this checklist to make sure the process goes smoothly.
- Those in need of Transitional Sheltering Assistance can search the Evacuee Hotel List, and selecting PA from the dropdown menu.
- Other services available to evacuees in the United States include rental assistance, inspection information which can be found on the FEMA update page for Hurricane Maria.
- To help children cope with the disaster, FEMA provides 24/7 crisis support services at the Disaster Distress line, (800) 985-5990 and online via the Disaster Distress Twitter Account (@DistressLine).
Why use DisasterAssistance.gov? Download the Disaster Assistance FAQ sheet
Puerto Rico Evacuees who have lost their job due to Hurricane Maria should apply for PR Unemployment Insurance. Individuals must apply by January 11, 2018 to receive benefits Click here for more information on how to apply.
Pennsylvania Department of Education: School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees
The Allentown School District has an immediate need for qualified ESOL teachers. ESOL teachers are expected to assist in ESOL program instruction in District schools and provide direct assistance and support to grade and mainstream content teachers in instruction for English Language Learners.
1. Hold a valid and current Pennsylvania Teaching Certificate with the PA ESL endorsement.
2. Satisfactory work record & criminal/child abuse clearances (Acts 34, 151, & 114).
3. Such additional or alternatives to the above qualifications as the board or superintendent may determine appropriate and acceptable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Click the Employment tab at the top of the screen or view Current Job Vacancies to apply via the district's FastTrack system.